girl monster

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Album Reviews and The Black Angels

I reviewed Psapp's new album, The Only Thing I Ever Wanted for loose record. Eclectic, sophisticated, experimental: an Architecture in Helsinki with less of a sweet tooth.

My review of Ambulance Ltd's New English EP, which came out in January, is also up on the loose homepage.

The Austin, Texas-based drone rock band The Black Angels are playing at Southpaw tomorrow night. Velvet Underground-tinged, loud, and heavy on the reverb, The Black Angels' debut full-length, Passover, is one of my favorite albums of 2006 so far. There is seriously not a weak song on the album, and there's a retro feel thoughout– it's hard to believe that this album wasn't written forty years ago. Dark and political, the Black Angels sing without sentiment about wartime horrors that could apply to Vietnam or Iraq. But lyrics regardless, they'll kick you in the gut and hold their foot there. I'm psyched. Come to Brooklyn and say hi to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home